Saturday, December 15, 2012

1933 Still Exists in 2012!

Over the past year or two, I've been trying to make it to the drive-in movie theater.  Its always a challenge for two reasons.  Once the drive to get there is super long and two I no longer own a car. Even though I have friends/family members with cars, trying to convenience them to drive 2hrs to see a movie can be a huge big challenge. Originally this weekend was designated for our road trip to Montreal, to get our ski and snowboarding on and visit the Hotel De Glace, but we decided to postpone the trip for a few reasons. Since I had already reserved the rental car, I decided to keep it and take this opportunity to do something I've been wanting to do. It also turned out that this was the very last weekend for the theater, they close for the winter and re-open in March.

The name of the theater is called Delsea Drive-in, located in Vineland NJ.  The directions from my house said 2.15 hrs in traffic, well getting there took about 3hrs.  I guess because we left right at peak hour when all of the kids get out of school and it wound up taking us about 1hr just to get out of Jersey City.  :\  Once we got on the the Turnpike, we were about 20 minutes into the drive when my mom falls asleep and leaves me to fin for myself the entire way. Lol #SoPredicableOfHer.   Since I was on my own for the next two hours, I turned to the radio for some entertainment; from christian music to some Doug E. Fresh.  It always amazes me how one never forgets the words to an old school hit. #classic  Let me also not forget the amazing views of the sunset while I cruised down the highway, always enjoy HIS creations.



It was about 6:30ish when we arrived at the theater.  The first movie, Red Dawn, started 15 minutes earlier. The second movie, Sky Fall 007, was set to start at 8:10.  Oh wait, did I mention you get two movies for the price of one. That's right, the drive-in has two screens and each screen shows two movies at the price of $9 per person. It almost didn't get any better than that, but it did with the reasonably priced and well diverse menu at the concession stand. There was something for EVERYONE.  I opted for the veggie burger and fries while mom snagged a root beer and an order of fries as well. In between Red Dawn and Sky Fall they played old school commercials.  One of the commercials said, "Take your family to church every week, exercise your freedom to worship", loved it.  Another one said, please remember to return the speakers at the end of the movie.  I didn't get that one but, mom explained.  She said back in her day they provided the speakers and you had to place them inside the care to actually here the movie, so thankful for radio broadcasting.  :)   The final two things I enjoyed about the Drive-In movie was watching the film under the stars; it was simply amazin, truly like a scene from a movie.  Sorry the Galaxy SIII couldn't capture them in a photo. :( Lastly, taking this journey with my mother was simply priceless.  #MommaLove

Until the next journey, I hope you enjoy the photos.

PS, If you're ever looking for something fun and out of the ordinary to do, I totally recommend taking the drive.  It's a nice place even if your going on a date. ;)





It was way too dark to catch a photo like this so I took it from the internet.  It really did look just like this.  :)



1 comment:

  1. Awe, its so nice to have your mom come and join you to experience this. Can't wait for the next update.

    ReplyDelete