Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Monkey Bars Aren't Just for Kids

MY OH MY...

For all that know me know that I occasionally, and I mean OCCASIONALLY, dabble in an extensive work out routine like kickboxing, etc.  I just haven't come to that point in my life where I can keep a workout regimen for a long period of time.  It's almost hard to believe I ran track in high school and qualified for the Penn Relays.  Well, its 2012 and lately I've noticed and really have been pondering how I need to start doing some sort of workout to keep my heart healthy and build upper body strength.

One day Tiffany and I saw a commercial on TV that advertised an fun workout, at Epic Hybrid Training Center.  This wasn't the normal workout but it incorporated kid movements and activities, like monkey bars, crawling on the floor, etc.  A few weeks ago, Tiffany came across a good deal, on Rue La La, where you get three Monkey Bar Gym classes for $29.  We both decided to take advantage of this opportunity.  I was really looking forward to something fun and though I knew it would be work, my mind tuned that out and all I thought was how much fun I was going to have. 

It was our first class today and I arrived a little earlier and I walked in on a super intense 'B Warrior Muay Thai Kickboxing' class and to be honest while watching them my nerves started to kick in.  I was like oh no this looks like some kind of Insanity.  Fifteen minutes or so had passed and it was time to get the monkey bar gym session up going.  Our awesome and nice looking instructor , Alex, already had our agenda posted.

(It may seem like pushups and pullups are simple, but there was a twist; they were one-sided)

(Hair pinned back just before we began)

We started with a warm up, jogging, knees up, butt kicks, side runs and spiderman crawls - if that's what it's called.   While jogging Alex keeps us on our toes by randomly throwing a sand bag and whomever dropped it caused the class to do five burpees. Sad to say, I dropped it 2 out of 4 times, sowwy class.  :)

Man, I never had a work out like this before and I'm so glad I experienced this with Tiffany.  For those of you don't know Tif, she's a beast.  I mean that in a good way, she loves working out and having her there was definitely a motivation for me to keep going even though i couldn't finish the last two leg curls. :\  Maybe in the next class I'll be able to keep up.  LOL




I must say, after all of that running and knee action tonight my knees did pretty well.  Usually when I try to do my occasional running, I'd feel so much pain in my knees but so far so good.  I'm going to just believe that my first time acupuncture did the trick.  I'm praising Jesus for a quick healing.  :)

I wish I had more photos to share, but unfortunately this is one task I couldn't take pictures while participating.  Lol  Now off to salvage the rest of my hair for tomorrow's holiday party.  I'm definitely going to invest in a SweatHeart Halo Wrap  by Corrin Jones, before my next workout so I can preserve my blowouts.


PS: Be Sure to check out Epic Hybrid Training Center on Yelp, for a free private session.  For those work out fanatics, you won't be disappointed. 

Until next time, enjoy the blog.

Peace and Blessings,

Samiyyah

No comments:

Post a Comment